My mom is a
Christmas lover to the utmost degree! You really should see our house
when she decorates. I'll admit I've helped her when nearly forced, or
guilted, into decorating in past years. You see, decorating and being a
perfectionist just don't go hand in hand.
Last year I was
alone for Christmas, my first ever Christmas alone....It pretty much
sucked!! Ok, my bro and his wife were living in the same house as me, but
they were their own family - ya know, and did lots of stuff with her
family. I didn't feel like decorating, cause what was the point, it's
true I'm sad to admit it, but I was such a Grinch. I don’t even really remember listening to
Christmas music... However, have no
fear, just like the movie it doesn't last.
Granted, this
year everyone but 23 will be "home" for Christmas, so that is something
to celebrate, as my bro will have been off to basic training in Oklahoma for
the last 2 months and my parents moved back to Hawaii (so sort
of alone again) but you see,
something happened… I really can’t tell you what or exactly when, but I’m happy
just being me. I was alone the week of
Thanksgiving and totally embraced it! I
was alone, by choice, on Thanksgiving day and didn’t mind it one bit. Part of embracing this aloneness I’ve
discovered I actually sort of like cooking and making fresh / healthy stuff (those of
you who know the complete hobby - smile now).
I don’t love it enough
for an everyday thing, but when there is just one of you, you really don’t have
to cook every day. Food can last a
really long time.
It was a lovely
Sunday morning, while I was alone, when this new hobby and attitude really
evolved - the whole cooking, alone, Christmas loving thing. I made the best fresh Guacamole EVER! Thanks to the internet, and yes…Pinterest, it
makes it really easy to find new recipes.
Which is what I’ve really enjoyed doing.
If you’ve never had the food before you can’t compare it, and so long as
it tastes good then it’s usually pretty great.
=) I can even just have a recipe
up and kind of use it as a base without exact measurements (another
thing that’s really hard for a perfectionist to do and why I probably didn’t
like cooking before.) While cooking I decided to turn on some
Christmas music and oh the added joy and happiness that just came and before
you know it, I was planning on decorating after church.
So I broke out the set of three tress, (decorating is a little easier and more fun when you have your mom’s accumulation at your disposal) that haven’t been set up for at least two years, brought out the snowmen army, turned on the tunes and turned into a happy, laughing, dancing, Christmas loving dork. It just happens! (Multiple times in one week means it’s serious.) I’ve always thought music is a powerful thing, for good or bad. It can definitely be a mood changer, or enhancer (ever had a bad day and turned on angry music to “help” your mood?). It’s been a year or so since I’ve tried to cut out the distractions in my life so I can have quiet time to think, or just listen. So I rarely, rarely, rarely listen to music of any kind anymore, anywhere. So I was trying to figure out why I’ve enjoyed the Christmas music so much lately and why it makes me so happy and little kid giddy? The answer I came up with is because of the reason for the songs, the reason for the message and the reason for the whole season, the joy of celebrating Christ’s birth. Do I believe he was born at Christmas time, no, in fact I don’t. But I find nothing wrong with celebrating it this time of year. I believe in Christ and I’ll celebrate Him and His life always!! I received a work email the other day from a vendor and in her signature block above her name it said “Merry Christmas” and below her name and info had
And it just made
me smile. It’s true, He is the reason
for the season and why most likely the happiness comes when I listen to songs
celebrating his birth. Or I just laugh
at the funny songs… “your lips look soooo delicious”… seriously?!? How can you not smile and laugh at that and
maybe do a little twirl in the kitchen?
In the end, the
trees aren’t decorated yet, but I turn the lights and music on every night when
I get home from work. I’m going to live
with the strand of lights I can’t get to work for the life of me and just deal
with it and decorate anyway (although it will bug me every time I look
at the tree, but then I’ll also just smile cause apparently I’m getting over
the “perfect” thing too). I’m going to soak up this feeling and try
to find ways to make it truly last all year.
And whether I’m alone or not, I’m going to be happy!....and maybe a
little silly at times….and laugh at myself, to myself, at my snowmen placement.
I’ll continue to make yummy things like
fresh guac, garlic lemon green beans and roasted sweet potatoes and maybe dance
in the kitchen a little during the process, because you know what? “..men are, that they might have JOY.” Which I was told once stood for: Jesus,
Others, Yourself. If you’re happy with
these three things then I think you’ll find that life is pretty good and the
fickle stuff just doesn’t matter.
And with that I’ll
say farewell, until I’m in the mood to write my feelings for the internet world
to read once more.
MERRY
CHRISTMAS!!

No comments:
Post a Comment