CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Marriage Venting


Recently a friend(s), once again, told me how “marriage is really hard…sometimes, but it’s still pretty great.”  I know she means well.  Here’s the deal.  I don’t think marriage has to be hard.  Have you ever heard basically this exact quote?  It always starts off as marriage is hard,….but it’s good too.  I think this is such a backwards way of looking at life.  Is the glass half empty or half full?  I think a lot of time we bring problems upon ourselves, be it in marriage or anything else in life.  I’m not perfect, but I’m trying to create the life I want for me.  Not the life someone else has decided for me or is trying to make me have.  If I say the glass is half full then it will be.  I will notice the good things in life instead of the things I might be missing out on or don’t have.  “Men are that they might have joy”!  Why do we freely and willingly submit ourselves to the opposite?
Now back to marriage.  I’m not married, but it’s one of the things I want more than anything else.  I’ve had a bit of time to think about it too, and no matter if I’m looking for it or not it’s something I always think about.  I’ll see something and file it away as “to do when married” or “not to do when married.”  My marriage will be GREAT, we might have some rough days…or maybe not.  I honestly don’t think they are a necessity.  I’m not perfect and Charm won’t be either, but if we focus on the good and positive things and are truly grateful to have each other, than for the most part I think marriage will be great.  No, I’m not naïve enough to think things will go perfectly all the time.  I’m still a girl (with hormones, unfortunately).  I’ve lived with 3 brothers my whole life so I don’t think I’ll die or go completely crazy living with a man.  Will it take adjusting, absolutely!  Will it take give and take and patience, you betchya!  But will it be worth it?  COMPLETELY!  I wish as I talked to married friends about marriage or just in passing as in times past the words that would came would be “Marriage is awesome/great/wonderful… yeah, sometimes we have to work on things, but oh man (!) so, so good!  Don’t you think that would strengthen people’s marriages?  We might just be a better world if we all started seeing the world half full instead of half empty. 
I haven’t written the promised post about the blog I totally love, www.ablogaboutlove.com  (this may or may not qualify as that post).  It will change your life…if you let it.  They believe in half full, or dare I say completely full.  The reason I love reading their blog so much is because they are happy people, and they practice what they preach.  Do you ever have those times when you think one way and you’re not sure if anyone else does?  That’s why I love this blog so much!  Their thinking is so inline with how I’ve been thinking lately and it’s so encouraging to be around other people who think and feel and share about the happiness in life.  “We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves happy.  The amount of work is the same.”  -Carlos Castaneda.  I may have found that quote on their blog, if not theirs it was someone else’s I’ve picked up reading.  I’m such a quote freak, always have been, and I totally love that one.  It’s just like it takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown, yet how many people have frown lines instead of smile lines when they are older?  Negativity will only breed itself and I think the same is true for positivity and happiness.  Choose to be happy and with some work (everything takes work) you will be.  See the good in yourself, others and life and you will be amazed at the person you are and can be, people you know, and those you don’t.  And if you don’t think you can be a happy person right off the bat, at least remove yourself from harmful situations/people and start surrounding yourself with happy and positive people (even if it’s by reading their words via books, blogs, etc.) before you know it, they just might start rubbing off on to you.
Well, until next time I have a venting urge, keep on, keepin on!....Maybe with a smile and half full this time.

1 comment:

eden said...

i love that quote from carlos castaneda. this is something i've been trying to work on lately... and life is definitely more pleasant when i work on enjoying things instead of complaining about them. (: